Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering & Research
Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology
Mumbai Activities: RADARS
Troposphere (MST) regions.
Installed at Gadanki, Tirupati.
- 3 element Yagi
- 32x32 array
- spans 130x130 m
- Tx power 2.5MW (Peak)
- Beam width 3deg
- For measurement of Atmospheric Parameters upto height of 100 Km.
- 2nd largest radar of its kind in the world.
- Operational since 1994 at Gadanki village near Tirupati.
- ISRO for space vehicle launch
- IMD for weather predictions
- Atmospheric Scientists from Academic & Research laboratories
- Uses Acoustic Sounding for monitoring atmospheric boundary layers
- Accurate Windprofiles
- Coverage upto 1 Km
- Can be used for environmental monitoring Applications.
- Tri-monostatic configuration
- Frequency 1.8 KHz
- Probing height 45m to 1000m
- Thermal and Nuclear power plants
- High risk chemical industries
SAMEER has developed and installed Doppler Sodar for various applications at following sites :
- National Atmospheric Research Lab (NARL) Gadanki, Tirupati
- NPCIL, Kaiga, Uttar Karnataka
- SPL, V.S.S.C Trivendrum
- IITM, Pune
Phased array SODAR
Phased array SODAR is a ground based remote sensing instrument to measure the wind speed, wind direction and turbulence of the lower part of the atmosphere, especially the boundary layer. The SODAR developed by SAMEER makes use of phased array antenna for generating the multiple beams. The antenna consists of many smaller elements of piezoelectric tweeters. Phased array technology provides the capability to electronically steer the sound beam in any direction and makes the system compact and easily deployable.
Phased array Mini-SODAR
- Probing height 15meters to 300 meters
- Resolution 15m
- Light weight and transportable
- Used for site survey for wind energy
- harnessing and environmental pollution dispersion
- Ground based clear weather doppler radar
- Frequency UHF band
- Power 16 KW
- Beam width of array antenna: 3 degrees
- Phased array can switch to three beams
Radio Acoustic Sounding System (RASS)
- Integrated with wind profiler, acoustic remote sensing gives temperature information.
- Networking of the RASS systems being planned for prediction of climatic and weather parameters for India.